Locations and Attendance
Click here to view locations on map
Full Time - To be arranged
Course Duration :
Course Times :
Course Code :
Please Note - These fees are for the 2018/19 Academic Year and are subject to change annually. Fees are payable for each year of study.
Days, Times and Fees for Part Time and HE courses are subject to change. HE Tuition Fees will be confirmed April 2018.
Prop Making is an integral part of TV, Film, Exhibitions and Performance. Coleg y Cymoedd is situated within close proximity to Pinewood, BBC Roathlock and Dragon Studios. You will be ideally placed to develop a rewarding and challenging career in making props in a well-equipped and professional environment.
During the course you will build and develop a wide range of practical and technical understanding working with materials and processes employed within the industry, such as sculpting, casting, carpentry and metal fabrication. Practical skills will be supported by high levels of contextual and historical understanding, underpinned by research, theory and analysis. This year will develop your professional knowledge and skills preparing you for industry.
Successful completion of 2 years at Foundation Degree or HND in a related subject area is required. Transferable skills are necessary and learners can demonstrate making skills along with a portfolio showing 3 dimensional work at interview.
• Good level of observational and drawing skills
• The ability to work with a range of resistant and non-resistant materials
• The capacity to convey ideas and concepts visually, verbal and through examples of written work
• Display high levels of enthusiasm and motivation towards the subject area
What will I study?
• Series of taught, self-generated and live projects
• Collaborative working with other Media based Foundation Degrees and industry
• Critical studies programme and an individual project
• An understanding of Film, Television and Contemporary Production
• Use of scale, CAD and 3D printing
• Construction in wood, metal and plastic
• Working with a wide range of molding and casting materials
• Puppet construction and performance
• Mask Making and Prop Costumes
• Sculpting from life
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed through completion of assignment based coursework and practical work.
Career Opportunities and Progression
On successful completion you will be equipped to work in Creative Industries, either freelance or employed in areas such as Prop Making, Costume Props, Armoury, Sculpting, Model Making and Animation. On successful completion of this course you will be receive a University of South Wales award.