Upskilling @ Work
The college is able to support employers to upskill their workforce using the European Social Fund through the Welsh Government to offset some of the cost to ensure that they are economically viable, able to grow and develop, create or access new markets or become more profitable so that they can employ more people.
Our Operations are called Upskilling@Work SO1 and Upskilling@Work SO2:
SO1- is for employed individuals who have no or low
SO2 - is for employed individuals to increase their technical or job specific skills at intermediate or higher level.
• We can deliver Entry Level to Level 2 qualifications under
SO1 and Level 3 plus qualifications under SO2
• The courses we are allowed to deliver against are on an
• If an employer wants a course that is not on the approved list, we can apply to WEFO for agreement to include it
• Companies will have to pay a percentage of the cost of the course; this is called co-investment
• Co-investment will be charged at 30% for a micro or small company; 40% for a medium company and 50% for a large company. The remainder of the cost will be drawn down
• We are not allowed to deliver mandatory or statutory qualifications
• Participants are disqualified if they have a higher level qualification in the learning area they are requesting than the one requested for delivery – that is considered refresher
training and the focus of this operation is upskilling.
There are exceptions, for example:
If someone has a Level 6 from previous learning, for example a degree in Business Admin, but has changed job role to an accountant and needs an AAT L3 qualification, this would be acceptable as it is upskilling in their current role. Where this would not be acceptable is if someone has a Level 6 degree in Business Admin and wants to refresh their knowledge at Level 5 in Marketing as it will not provide any new skills attainment.
The place of work is the decider as to whether or not a company can benefit from our operation. The college can deliver in West Wales and the Valleys areas which comprises
Caerphilly and RCT, however if companies who operate outside our area are interested, we can signpost them to alternative operations or delivery partners.
For further information, please contact the ESF Office on 01443 653621