The course consists of units to be assessed in terms of knowledge and practical work. The units include:
Carrying out safe working practices,
• Knowledge of information and quantities,
• Building methods and construction,
• Fixing and plastering of external insulation boards,
• Cutting plasterboard to the correct dimensions/ angles for the job including areas such as windows and ceilings,
• Preparing timber backgrounds and boards ready for plaster for both internal and external areas,
• Preparing materials including mixing materials such as sand and cement
• Looking at different mixing equipment including mixers/transformers.
You will also need to achieve Essential Skills at Level 1 in both Application of Number and Communications.
You will require 3 GCSEs at grade A*- E which must include English/Welsh and Maths/Numeracy or successful completion of Construction Skills Entry 3 and working at Entry 3 in Literacy and Numeracy.
You will be invited to attend an interview. During this interview and will undertake an assessment in literacy and numeracy to establish any support required.
This is achieved by completing theory assignments to produce a portfolio of evidence, on-line end of unit multi- choice questionnaires, an online exam, practical tasks and phase tests.
If successful this diploma qualification will enable you to progress onto the Level 2 in Plastering or a Modern Apprenticeship, CITB Apprenticeship or employment as an apprentice Plasterer.
Purchase of steel toe capped boots, overalls and a course text book is required for this course. Please discuss this at interview stage with a tutor after you have applied.