Coleg Y Cymoedd

Higher Education

Support during your studies

Financial Information

Every eligible full-time student can claim a minimum grant of £1,000 they will not have to pay back, regardless of their household income, and means-tested grants of up to £10,124 in London and £8,100 in the rest of the UK will be available to those who need them most.

A similar package will be available to eligible part-time students, on a pro-rata basis related to intensity of study.

The Welsh Government provides student support to eligible students who are undertaking a designated higher education (HE) course at a publicly funded institution. To be eligible for statutory student support the course must lead to a qualification in one of the following:

First Degree e.g. Bachelor of Arts, Science or Education (BA, BSc or BEd)

Foundation Degree

Certificate of Higher Education

Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)

Higher National Certificate (HNC)

Higher National Diploma (HND)

A Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE)

Initial Teacher Education (ITE).

For more information visit Welsh Government's Student Money

Learner Support - Higher Education

At Coleg y Cymoedd we offer specliased support for Higher Education learners.

Our role is to help you to achieve and to support you during your time at Coleg y Cymoedd.

Our specialist staff are here for you to discuss your support needs or concerns in confidence. They can help you access the support you require on your course. This can include support for wellbeing, access to coursework support, advice to care leavers and library and learning resources support.

If you have a long term disability, mental health condition (for example, depression or anxiety) or specific learning difficulties (for example, dyslexia or dyspraxia) which has a substantial impact on your day to day activity (including in education) then you may be eligible for extra help in the form of Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA). 

The DSA funds individual support packages which can include additional support and/or specialist equipment that you may need on your course due to your disability, mental-health condition or specific learning difficulty. If you would like further information about applying for DSA you may find it useful to read the following:

DSA (Wales) 

DSA (England) 

Our specialist staff can:

- Arrange a one to one meeting to discuss your support needs

- Support you through the process of completing the DSA application form

- Liaise with Student Finance Wales or  England on your behalf if you have any queries – as long as you have given consent

- Liaise with your course tutor to draw up an Individual Support Plan so that reasonable adjustments can be made

- Advise you how to get additional study skills support if you are not eligible for DSA 

You can apply for DSA as soon as you have decided on the HE course you wish to study.

We encourage learners to apply for DSA as early as possible. 

For all queries about HE support please contact Natalie Boughton-Lawrence / 01443 653688 or speak to Learner Services at any campus

Facilities on offer

Higher Education learners studying at a Coleg y Cymoedd campus will receive the same access levels to facilities as any other learner at Coleg y Cymoedd.

This includes - Learning Centres and Eating Places at all campus sites.

At our Nantgarw and Ystrad Mynach campus, a Gym and Nursery are on site.  Both of these may be accessed by learners with membership required for both. 

Welcome to Coleg y Cymoedd

Please select your language option. By using this site you agree to our use of cookies. Click here for more information.

Croeso i Coleg y Cymoedd

Dewiswch eich dewis iaith. Drwy ddefnyddio'r safle we hwn, rydych yn cytuno i'n defnydd ni o gwcis. Cliciwch am fwy o fanylion.