Why study A Levels at Coleg y Cymoedd?
You will be taught in the comfort of our £40 million, award-winning and fully-equipped Nantgarw Campus
The A-Level Programme at Coleg y Cymoedd offers the choice of 20 AS/A-Level subjects and 7 Level 3 Certificate/Diploma options
Our expert subject tutors pride themselves on providing the highest standard of education and learning opportunities
Reasons to Choose Us
Learners – Reasons to Choose Us:
• A wide range of A-Levels (20) and BTEC Level 3 Certificate/Diploma (7) options
• The freedom to become an independent learner
• An ideal bridge between school and Higher Education
• Broaden your horizons and meet new people
• A modern and contemporary building with superb facilities
• A comprehensive tutorial/support system
• Extra-curricular activities via the BOOST enrichment programme.
Parents – Reasons to Choose Us:
• Excellent A-Level results
• Develop and foster important life skills, transferable to university and employment
• Proven track record of Oxbridge, ‘Russell Group’ and ‘Sutton 30’ university application success
• Comprehensive tutorial/support system
• Personal contact with all tutors and lecturers
• Adult learning environment and culture.
2021 Results Showcase
Previous School: St Martin’s
Mathematics (A*), Biology (A*) Chemistry (A*) Physics (A*)
Heading to Swansea University to study nuclear medicine
Previous School: Blackwood Comprehensive
Biology (A*), Mathematics (A) Geograpy (B)
Heading to University of Southampton to study Biology
Previous School: Cymer Rhondda
Biology (A*), Psychology (A*) Chemistry (B)
Heading to University of Birmingham to study Dental Hygiene and Therapy
The transition from school to college can be daunting, but our expert team of Personal Tutors will help you at every stage of your college journey. You will receive a complete support package coordinated by your Personal Tutor, who will help you with everything from EMA queries to time management and revision skills. Progress meetings, to which your parents or guardians are invited, take place each year.
You will be fully supported during your time at the A-Level Centre and guided through a comprehensive personal tutorial system, which encompasses specific support with Higher Education, with training and career choices and applications, and with personal statement and CV writing.
The A-Level programme enables you to study three or four AS-Levels plus the Welsh Baccalaureate (Advanced) in your AS year. Following successful AS results, you will then progress to study at A2-Level, including the Welsh Baccalaureate.
You can widen your choices with a combined course by choosing 1 or 2 AS subjects alongside BTECs. Options will be discussed during your application process.
Supporting our learners and preparing them for their futures is a key focus of the A-Level Centre at Coleg y Cymoedd. We offer a range of additional support strategies, tailored to finding the right path for your next step.
• Guide you through the UCAS process and support you every step of the way, from application to selecting your firm choice
• Offer expert support with personal statements and CVs
• Give tailored careers advice
• Provide guidance with apprenticeship and job applications and opportunities
• Support you with securing relevant work experience placements
• Provide extensive interview practice, as required
• Nurture and develop your confidence and skills base
Missed the grades? Want another attempt?
The A-Level programme has taken learners who have not achieved the grades they envisaged or those revisiting existing A-Levels to improve their grades/UCAS points for university or potential employment. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you fall into this category to discuss the available options.
Supporting our learners and helping them fulfil their potential is at the heart of what we do at the A-Level Centre at Coleg y Cymoedd. Whilst this is reflected across our whole curriculum and in our approach to all learners, we are also proud of our success supporting our most able learners through their applications to Oxbridge and Russell Group/‘Sutton 30’ universities, with our past learners moving on to study at Cambridge, Oxford, Durham, King’s College London, Bristol, London School of Economics (LSE), Imperial College London, Bath, and a range of other top UK universities.
Our Stretch and Challenge programme works in collaboration with the Rhondda Cynon Taf MAT scheme and:
• prepares learners for the UCAS application process, aptitude tests and interviews
• provides strong links to the Oxford UNIQ and the Sutton Trust Summer School Programmes
The success of our Stretch and Challenge programme has been recognised by the Welsh Government which has invited us to host the RCT and Merthyr Seren Hub. Seren works closely with the Welsh Government and staff from Oxbridge and Cambridge Universities to provide a specific programme of scholarly activities aimed at enhancing learners’ academic experiences in preparation for an application to a competitive university/degree course.
Being a member of the Stretch and Challenge Group has several advantages. You will be offered the choice of following 4 AS subjects without the Welsh Baccalaureate OR 3 AS subjects with the Welsh Baccalaureate programme, according to your interests, needs and aspirations. In addition, we will aim to develop your academic skills and encourage you to aim high when making your university choices.
In addition, if you achieve 3 or more A*s at GCSE alongside a predominantly A Grade profile, you will be invited to join the RCT/Merthyr Seren Hub, for which Coleg y Cymoedd Nantgarw continues to be the host Centre. You will attend monthly subject-specific ‘masterclass’ extension sessions delivered to the 120 academically most able Year 12 students in RCT and Merthyr.
• one-to-one support and advice with your UCAS application, including how to write an effective personal statement when applying to a competitive university
• aptitude test and interview preparation with academic professionals
• an opportunity to participate in the Brilliant Club scheme, which gives learners experience of undergraduate-style tutorials and research, and which includes visits to Russell Group universities
• the opportunity to join the Medi Prep course run by Aneurin Bevan University Health Board for those considering a career in Medicine, Dentistry or Biomedical Sciences
• support to apply for Nuffield placements for those studying STEM subjects
• attendance at the annual Oxbridge conference at the Liberty Stadium, Swansea
• individual support to apply for Summer School programmes and/or shadowing schemes at Oxbridge and other leading Russell Group universities
• advice and support on how to accumulate worthwhile work experience in relevant fields
• encouragement to enter relevant essay competitions in your chosen field of study
We will support you in developing independent research and critical thinking skills which will help equip you for degree-level study at a leading university; for your part, you will need to be prepared to put in additional work over and above what’s required for your A-Level subject choices and to think for yourself in order to achieve your full potential. The onus will be on you to develop good higher-level study habits and the ability to think for yourself, so that you become a confident, autonomous learner. We will fully support you in this.
Rhondda Cynon Taff
Heol y Coleg
Rhondda Cynon Taff