Modern living depends on the things that engineers design, make or improve. Trains, aircraft, TV, buildings, mobile phones and even iPods, are all produced by engineers.
Engineering is leading the way; job prospects are excellent and there is a wide variety of roles for entrants. A recent survey from UK Engineering stated that “Engineering contributes 26% of the UKs GDP” and that “265,000 skilled entrants are required annually to meet demand for engineering enterprises through to 2024”
If you enjoy solving problems and have a good imagination you’ll find engineering a stimulating and challenging field of study. A qualification in engineering can bring real benefits in your future career. There are exciting employment and career opportunities in business and industry, and your knowledge and expertise will be valued in the UK, Europe and further afield. Employers value highly the numerical skills, creativity, scientific knowledge and team-working experience that engineers possess.
Recent Investment in our facilities include:-
• £3.1 million invested in a Railway Training Centre of Excellence at the Nantgarw campus, designed to deliver high quality training for the next generation of railway engineers.
• £260,000 in workshop equipment for the Nantgarw workshop
• £150,000 in workshop equipment for our Rhondda workshop
At Coleg y Cymoedd we can offer:
• Specialist facilities with experienced qualified professionals.
• Foundation Level through to Foundation Degree courses.
• An excellent reputation for apprenticeship training in computer repair, electronics, manufacturing and performance engineering.
• Close links with local employers to maximise training opportunities leading to the full employment of learners.
Coleg y Cymoedd has been at the forefront of apprenticeship training for GE Aircraft Maintenance based at Nantgarw for over 20 years. More recently British Airways Maintenance division and Axiom Manufacturing Services have also joined forces with us to train their apprentices. Many of our apprentices have gone on to complete their HNC and Degree qualifications in Engineering and Aerospace Engineering.